Mayflower Compact

About Our Society
NC Officers

- Eligibility
- Application Fees

Proof of Lineage

- Frequently Asked

The Ship - Mayflower

Pilgrim Trivia

Pilgrim English

Colonial Medicine

Test Your Pilgrim


Q:  My grandmother joined the Mayflower Society in 1950.  Can I just reference her linage paper and then complete the remainder of the application?

A:  You must complete the entire form and supply documentation to support all entries.  Requirements before 1983 were very weak and were strengthened in 1983.

Q:  Can I use the LDS Ancestor File and IGI files to support entries?

A:  No, they are unacceptable as proof.  They may be used to assist you in  finding supporting material.

Q:  Can I use my DAR lineage paper to support entries?

A:  No.  They are unacceptable as proof.

Q:  My complete Mayflower line was available on the internet.  Can I use that as proof?

A:  No.  It will serve only as a guide as to where you may locate the proof you require.

Q:  My grandfather was not a Mayflower descendant but did marry my grandmother, who was a Mayflower descendant.  Am I required to prove who his parents were?

A:  No.  You need only to provide two copies of his birth certificate.

Q:  I am a current member of the North Carolina Mayflower Society and live in another state.  How do I transfer my membership to that state society?

A:  Contact our state society historian and he will assist you with the process.

Q:  Can I have a professional genealogist prepare my application for membership?

A:  Yes, as long as the entries are supported with two copies of documentation and you sign the application worksheet.

Q:  Is a copy of the application that my brother submitted acceptable as proof?

A:  No.  Only copies of the lineage papers that were approved by Plymouth are acceptable.

Q:  I know the date and place that my great-grandmother died, but can not locate a reference.  Can I just put in the date and place and leave the reference blank?

A:  No all entries must be supported with proof.

Q:  Is it really necessary to follow the worksheet instruction exactly?

A:  Yes.   Failure to do so will only cause your application to be delayed.

Q:  How long do I have to complete my application from the time my Preliminary Application was approved?

A:  You have three years.  If not competed than you must pay an additional application fee.  It is advisable to complete your research before applying for a preliminary application.

Q:  Can the State Mayflower Historian look up proof for me?

A:  No.  The State Historian will only check records and files that he has readily available in our rather small reference library.  He will advise you where you may locate the necessary material.

Q:  How long does it take from when I submit an Application Worksheet until my application is approved?

A:  If your application has been well researched and properly documented it should take about 8-10 weeks.  If you have not completely gathered your supporting material in advance and did not complete the worksheet according to the instructions provided it can take from one to two years or longer.

If you have any further questions or problems with your worksheet, please contact our State Historian for suggestions or assistance. 

Franklin N. Horton
NC Mayflower Society Historian
3812 Ithaca Place
Fayetteville, NC 28311

Franklin N. Horton, Historian

Last Revised:  August 26, 2015